Monday, January 19, 2009

A Remarkable Witness

I read this recent article in the UM Reporter and it struck me for a couple of reasons. First of all, it's about a man who was formerly a staunch atheist and prominent Chemistry professor, so a dramatic conversion experience is pretty exciting in and of itself. But the thing that really grabs my attention is that he got his call to ministry in an academic community, attended seminary (my alma mater, so I'm sure that he got a fine education!), and then was appointed to pastor the campus UMC at the same university where he was a professor. Great job, Cabinet, for appointing him to a minister to the community that birthed him spiritually. I don't know if it was a no-brainer, or someone had to convince someone else that it would be a good thing, but as one who works with college students, I'm thrilled to see this!

No comments: