Thursday, August 03, 2006

My First One

Okay, I just noticed today that I started this thing on March 23rd, but I haven't posted a single thing yet. I had great intentions at first...I came up with a catchy title, I fooled around with different backgrounds, I even perused other people's blogs. My plan was to wait until school was out to write my first blog. Then, when school was out, I thought I'd wait until June was here and my life slowed down a bit. Then, I joined myspace and put my energies there, still thinking that I would EVENTUALLY post something to my catchy-titled blogspot blog! Then, my excuse was that I had never actually read the book for which this blog is named (A Long Obedience in the Same Direction: Discipleship in an Instant Society by Eugene Peterson). I thought if I was going to have a book title as my blog name, I should ACTUALLY read it instead of just admire it from afar based on what others have told me about it. So I ordered it from Alibris.com and started reading. So, now, here it is, August, I'm just 2 chapters away from finishing the book and just weeks away to a NEW school year starting and my life "starting" to get busy again. Oh well.

I decided that I didn't ever start it because I didn't have the perfect idea for my first blog. I didn't want it to just be your typical, "I'm starting a blog so that all my friends (and friends of friends) can see what I have to uniquely offer the blogosphere." I also didn't want it to be unoriginal or unintelligent, but I'm afraid I've succumbed to both of those things, as evidenced by my title, "My First One." Pretty unoriginal, and dare I say, unintelligent, too. Oh well, unoriginal and unintelligent is better than nothing.

So, I plan to continue to write more things that hopefully have more significant things to say than my first blog, but at least it's a start. I do intend on writing a little on various things, but particularly things that have to do with discipleship, my own or the discipleship of others. Here I'll end with the obligatory quote for which this blog gets its name, from the surprising source of Friedrich Nietzsche,

"The essential thing 'in heaven and earth' is...that there should be long obedience in the same direction; there thereby results, and has always resulted in the long run, something which has made life worth living."

May it be so, Lord. May it be so.

2 comments:

Tari Noel said...

Hey Ashlee,
I think you are off to a great start. I know my blog focuses on the every day fun of a two year old instead of any intellectual challenges I may face. But what can I say that is my life and those who check out my blog only want to know that anyway. I will add you to "My friends blogs" soon. I checked out your myspace too very fun. Hope school is going well for you.

Abigail said...

We were just talking about you fondly & shamelessly envious of you in the car today. Guy mentioned some info you had recently sent him & we mused on what a great job you must have, that it sounds like so fun, a blend of lots of great different pieces. Looking forward to hearing from you & hope you're doing well.